Research has shown that breastfeeding is recognized as the best source of nutrition for most infants.
Support for breastfeeding in the workplace can include several types of employee benefits and services including:
- implementing company policies to support breastfeeding women;
- teaching employees about breastfeeding;
- providing designated private space for breastfeeding or expressing milk;
- allowing flexible scheduling to support milk expression during work;
- giving mothers options for returning to work, such as teleworking, part-time work, and extended maternity leave;
- providing on-site or near-site child care;
- providing high-quality breast pumps;
- and offering professional lactation management services and support.
Click here for more information about employers requirement to provide break time for nursing mothers.
The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have created “The Business Case for Breastfeeding: Steps for Creating a Breastfeeding Friendly Worksite”. Please review the following documents: