Allen County Food Council Assessment & Action Plan
The Allen County Local Food Council is a multi-faceted team of community leaders convened by Activate Allen County to promote a healthy community through the production, processing, distribution and consumption of food in the area.
This countywide local food assessment and plan will promote efforts to:
- Ensure that fresh, safe, healthful, locally produced food is easily accessible to people of all income levels at local markets, grocery stores, restaurants, schools and other institutions.
- Strengthen the region’s economy; create local jobs in the food production, processing and distribution industries and coordinate energy-efficient distribution that provides a secure supply of many foods to people of the region.
- Preserve valuable farmland by making agriculture more profitable, and by showing planners and policymakers that farmland is important to local economies.
- Encourage policies that allow agriculture on vacant and underused land in cities and towns throughout the region, and promote the health benefits and availability of local food.
- Coordinate local-food efforts in Allen County with those of other counties in the region, and with other Ohio locales in an emerging statewide network of local food councils.