Priority Area 4: Housing and Public Transportation
2018-2020 ACTION STEPS
1. Create a strategic plan to address substandard housing.
2. Develop a system to better track use of social programs to avoid duplication.
3. Create a strategic plan to develop the necessary funding needed to ensure public
transportation services are available and accessible to those that need such services.
4. Increase the number of passengers able to access and use RTA’s services.
- In 2015, the Allen County Housing Consortium standardized the definition of safe, sanitary, secure, habitable homes and worked collaboratively to develop a checklist to assess standard housing quality.
- In 2014, the Lima Allen County Regional Planning Commission used community input to develop a report that generated transportation recommendations based on 15 strategies.
- In 2015, the Lima/Allen County Regional Transit Authority created a fixed route to the Heart Institute and Occupational Health facilities. Additionally, all vehicles now have wheelchair capacity and bike racks have been added to all vehicles.
- In 2016, the City of Lima received a Bronze Award as a Bike Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists.
- The FACTS Coalition continues to meet with representatives from numerous community organizations to address meeting the transportation needs of those in our community.
- The number of dilapidated homes has been greatly reduced due to a large effort to demo these homes throughout the county. Over 200 homes have been demolished and this effort plans to continue.
- Try commuting to your destination by foot, bike, or bus when possible.
- Promote Allen County walking, hiking and bicycling resources including the trail map located in the resource section of the Activate Allen County website.
- Join a workgroup listed above to assist in continuing the work around housing and public transportation in Allen County.