Priority Area 4: Housing and Public Transportation
2020-2023 ACTION STEPS
To improve housing affordability and quality, the following objectives are recommended:
1. Implement 3 recommendations in the City of Lima’s plan to address community housing concerns.
2. Provide lead hazard removal to 30 homes in the City of Lima.
3. Increase the number of affordable housing units available in Allen County by 50%
4. Create a data base on local rental properties and those of owners of each rental property (Lima Housing Task Force).
To increase access to public transportation, the following objectives are recommended:
5. Increase the number of passengers able to use RTA’s services by 5%.
- In 2015, the Allen County Housing Consortium standardized the definition of safe, sanitary, secure, habitable homes and worked collaboratively to develop a checklist to assess standard housing quality.
- In 2014, the Lima Allen County Regional Planning Commission used community input to develop a report that generated transportation recommendations based on 15 strategies.
- In 2015, the Lima/Allen County Regional Transit Authority created a fixed route to the Heart Institute and Occupational Health facilities. Additionally, all vehicles now have wheelchair capacity and bike racks have been added to all vehicles.
- In 2016, the City of Lima received a Bronze Award as a Bike Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists.
- The FACTS Coalition continues to meet with representatives from numerous community organizations to address meeting the transportation needs of those in our community.
- The number of dilapidated homes has been greatly reduced due to a large effort to demo these homes throughout the county. Over 200 homes have been demolished and this effort plans to continue.
- Try commuting to your destination by foot, bike, or bus when possible.
- Promote Allen County walking, hiking and bicycling resources including the trail map located in the resource section of the Activate Allen County website.
- Join a workgroup listed above to assist in continuing the work around housing and public transportation in Allen County.