Priority Area 3: Improve Maternal and Infant Health Outcomes
2020-2023 ACTION STEPS
The workplan for this Priority has been put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- The Maternal-Infant Task Force was formed in December of 2014.
- A screening referral process was established for OB offices to connect with local Medically Assisted Treatment Centers for treatment of opiate-addicted pregnant women.
- Lima Memorial Hospital, St. Rita’s Health Partners, and Bluffton Hospital have adopted supportive breastfeeding policies and are working through the Ohio First Steps for Healthy Babies program where all 3 are earning state recognition for their work in breastfeeding support, protection and promotion.
- Over 25 workplaces have adopted supportive breastfeeding policies.
- Over 20 Pack and Plays are distributed each month to families who need safe spaces for infants to sleep.
- Implement company policies in your workplace to support breastfeeding women.
- Promote the ABCs of safe sleep spaces for infants – Alone, on their Backs, in a Crib without bumper pads, loose bedding, or soft toys.
- Encourage women to get early prenatal care.
- Join the Maternal Infant Task Force or a subgroup, listed above.
- Encourage your favorite restaurant, store or organization to sign the “Breastfeeding Welcome Here” pledge and commit to being a Breastfeeding Friendly location for nursing mothers.
- Assist us in the creation of a resource to link women with community services. If you know of resources that should be included, please contact the Maternal Infant Task Force at the number above.